Metal Gong Tower
Metal Gong tower in the inscription was referred to as “Hor La Kangsadan” located on north side of Royal Vihara or northeast side of Buddha’s relic Chedi. Its original shape was short wooden posts with a piece of wood lying on two posts. This wooden stick was used to hit the Gong. Later, two posts were changed with concreting and the large round bell which Lanna people called it “Kangsadan” was hung. This round bell was molded in 1870 in the reign of 4th king. The molder was a revere monk from Prae City named “Master MahapaKanchana” from WatSungmen. The molding place was Wat Phrasing Chiang Mai as offering to Phratha tLuangLamphun. So, it was named as “Three-city Bell Tower”
Later, the posts where the bell was hung were worn out, so they were removed and the new Bell tower was constructed as appeared in present. It was the location of HorPhranak which was originally the location of HorPhrakaewKhao in Hariphunchai era.
This bell tower later became the remarkable symbol of Wat Phrathat Hariphunchai. The objectives of hitting the Gong or Kangsadan was different from general temples. Hitting bells that were placed orderly was to give signal for spirits of predecessors to receive merit. However, hitting Kangsadan would be in important ceremonies only such as giving signal while welcoming personage traveling to this temple or the consoling ceremony of Royal Nak etc.